Jun 15, 2006

On being on stage and playing with U2

I'm sorry I haven't written the "Summit Coda" yet. I've been busy dealing with some minor health issues and other things, and just haven't sat down and typed it out yet. I really wanted all Summit stuff to be in one group, but alas, that can't be. I feel the need to post this in as many places as I can online.

Jelani had a dream a while back, maybe a week, where he was at the U2 concert with all of us. I know this because he told me. Not sure who the us is, really, but odds are, when U2 swings back into town, I'm going to be bringing maybe 4 or 5 people depending on cost, and I know Joe and David are probably gonna convince other people to go.

So from me bringing 2 other people to see U2 back in September, the next time we might have a group numbering 15 or more!

But back to Jelani's dream...of which I am really, really hoping it is prophetic in some small way. Jelani dreamed that I was on stage singing with Bono.

Now, that'd be awesome. If I were up to it, and I'd need some practice in order to even come close to singing some of their songs. But what would be even cooler is if I was singing AND playing with U2 on stage!

I figure I really have two shots at that. The first, would be to play handbell accompaniment on "Electrical Storm." That would require me to meet the band, talk it out with them, work out the song arrangment, and practice like crazy. And then rock the casbah, and with that song, preferably in an open-air stadium at night (obviously not the Metrodome). Check out the song to see what I mean.

The second shot I have would first require me to learn how to play acoustic guitar. And while there are many, many different acoustic songs U2 has played with fans over the years (they've always been famous for pulling an audience member on stage to play guitar with them), the song I'd really like to play with them (or rather, Bono on vocals and Adam on bass) would be "Flower Child," a song that was not on an album (strike one against it) but was on the Essential U2 ipod exclusive collection (strike two). And I guarantee that Bono forgot the lyrics (strike three).

Anyways, its an easy song to play on acoustic guitar, one I could easily learn and probably should, after I learn how to play first.

I figure I'll bring a big poster to the concert that says (Bono and I can make a "Flower Child") and in small letters (i brought lyrics).

Stranger things have happened at U2 shows, believe me.

I have a whole "Open Letter to U2" I've been planning on writing and posting online soon...but for now, enjoy the lyrics to "Flower Child."

If you want a copy of the song, let me know, I can upload it to you somehow.

"Flower Child"

On the fifth day of May
She was breaking away
When the moon came and sat on your shoulder
She was still young
Not yet high-strung
Which you need to be when you get older
George was the street
When you first faced defeat
You put money on the colour of her sky
Well the cold of her voice
Left you there with no choice
But to drink the liffy dry

The seeds that you sew
You want to watch them grow
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart

Here comes Holy Joe
Now, how would he know
How laughter can make a man cruel
Theres fire on fire
When lovers conspire
To either a duet or duel
When its fire on fire
The flames just get higher
The harder you work to put them out
Well, you know that youre similar
Sugar and weak
In a boat heading north facing south

The seeds that you sew
You want to watch them grow
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart

Wild

Whats on your breath
Is it fear of death
That makes such a man promiscuous
Your mouth was dry
Like when youre about to lie
And her lips are so lucous
Youve seen it before
Youre hurled at her door
Like a dog when she needed a man
Now she aches and she breaks
And she takes all the weight
Of your world, she almost can

The seeds that you sew
Well, you want to watch them growing
The wind, where will it blow
My flower child
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart

Wild

The sky was still gray
Up on Albion way
As the yellow hats took up the road
Didnt hear what she said
As the lights turned red
On a love that should have stayed gold
Gold

Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart
Wild, you grow wild
You grow wild in my heart

No comments: