Jan 31, 2007

Salt and Light in Blogger u2.0

And I've converted to Blogger 2.0. Why? Cause it wouldn't let me do otherwise. Sigh...I've "Made the Switch."

Two thoughts tonight. The first...I've noticed that it is getting easier and easier to not go to church. Part of it has to do with the schedule I'm on. Having been up for work since 3 am, unless I manage to grab a few hours nap in the afternoon, come 7, 7:30, I'm dragging. I'm sure I'd feel really good and coherent come the end of church around 9:30.

I know I need to be at church. I want to be at church; preferably on Saturday night so I can see my friends, but Wednesday works just as well. Pray that God will change my work schedule so that I can begin attending regularly again. There is a possibility I might get a part-time baker's position, with hours closer to 1-6 pm than my current 5am-10am. Pray that something works out.

Ok, the second thing for this evening. I was reading through One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God by Christian Scharen (actually a really, really terrible and poorly written book), but some scripture he used struck out to me. Specifically, Matt 5:13-4 (salt and light of the world).

(EDIT- Ok, the book is not horrible. It's by far not the worse book out there. I've just noticed some errors with it, both factual and textual, that I didn't like. I apologize if I came across as unduly critical. I guess it's the editor in me...)

What is meant here by "salt" and "light?" Since they are two different words, defining two different objects (one physical, one quasi-physical...lol), I'm gonna assume that they are referring to two seperate things. But the usage of both words is similar, and really kinda mean the same thing. So what is that thing (or things)?

What put this thought into my mind was the way the author of that U2 book, as well as Jesus, used these examples. Right now I'm lacking the words to explain what I was thinking, but these words sort of stuck with me and I can't seem to get rid of them. I'm just really curious what is being referred to specifically here. I've always heard these verses/words interchangeably, but I somehow doubt that is the case.

I'm wondering if a proper Biblical study will yield some answers.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

bruce said...

Hey Stu,
Both salt and light increase the experience. Salt adds flavor to what you are eating and light adds insight or detail.
They are both also necessary for life. You cannot live without salt or light. Thus they also speak of the process of being a blessing that brings life to others.
Many say salt is a preservative. But I think that this is not the main meaning that the bible assigns. Light exposes things hidden in the darkness. It takes things from black and white into color.
Those are some of my thoughts.
I am praying for a schedule change so you can come to fellowship.
Blessings, Bruce

christian scharen said...

Dear Stuart,
Sorry you didn't like my book, One Step Closer. Oh, well. I gave it my best shot to say something worth the paper. But I'm curious what most put you off?
Peace,
Chris Scharen